To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

Town Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 5pm daily.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.


How to pay your fine

You have four options to pay. 

1) You can pay in our office at 813 S Harrison St, Kiowa, OK 74553. You can pay with Cash, Money Order or Cashier's Check.

2) You can mail in your payment to Kiowa Court Clerk P.O. Box 69 Kiowa, OK  74553. Please mail in at leat one week prior to court date. We go by date received in the office, not the post marked date on the envelope.

3) You can pay over the phone or in our office with a Debit or Credit Card. If you want to pay by phone, you can call 918-432-6244 or 855-332-7320. There will be a processing fee associated with this payment.

4) You can pay online at www.myfinepayment.com . You will need to put in your Last Name and either your Date of Birth or Citation Number. There will be a processing fee associated with this payment.

Court Date

Due to COVID-19 we will be holding court virtually. You must call the court 918-432-6244 or email the court mary@kiowaoklahoma.com or leighanne@kiowaoklahoma.com to receive instructions.

When you receive your citation, you are given a court date. You must Pay or Appear. If you have not paid your citation before the court date or made payment arrangements, you must appear.

If you want to contest your citation, you must call the court at 918-432-6244 two weeks prior to the court date. If you do not call, you will not be on the docket.

You must come prepared to pay at least 1/3 of the fine amount when you appear for court.

Payment Agreements

Payment agreements for fines are divided into three monthly payments. If you want a payment agreement you must contact the court at 918-432-6244 or mary@kiowaoklahoma.com or leighanne@kiowaoklahoma.com . The court must receive your completed payment agreement back in the office before it is valid.

Fail to comply w/comp insurance or Fail to Carry Ins

If you have received a citation for Fail to Comply w/Comp Insurance or for Fail to Carry Insurance verification, you must have your Insurance provider email the court mary@kiowaoklahoma.com or leighanne@kiowaoklahoma.com or fax the court 918-432-5690 before your court date with proof of ins. You must follow up with the clerk to make sure the insurance was received. Do not assume the ticket will be dismissed.

Fail to have Driver's License in possession

If you have received a citation for Fail to have Driver's License in Possession. You must email the court mary@kiowaoklahoma.com or leighanne@kiowaoklahoma.com a copy of your current Driver's License. You must follow up with the court to make sure the ticket is dismissed. Do not assume the ticket will be dismissed.

Defective Equipment

If you have received a citation for Defective Equipment. You have 48 hrs to correct the issue and either bring the vehicle to city hall (813 S Harrison St, Kiowa OK) or  email proof of repair to mary@kiowaoklahoma.com or leighanne@kiowaoklahoma.com

Deferred Adjudication

You may qualify for Deferred Adjudication. You must contact the court at 918-432-6244 or mary@kiowaoklahoma.com or leighanne@kiowaoklahoma.com to a Deferred Adjudication Application.

Additional Fees

If you do not pay your fine or make payment arrangements before your court day and you do not apprear in court, a $40 FTA & Mail Fee will be added. If you don't pay your fine within two weeks after a FTA is issued, a $200 FTP fee will be added and your license will be suspended. If you don't pay your fine within 90 days of the date of the citation, a warrant will be issued an more fees added. 

Time Served

We do not allow you to use Time Served as payment of your fine.

Community Service

No, you cannot do community service to pay your fine.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the Town of Kiowa, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the Town of Kiowa hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the Town of Kiowa please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.